Thursday, December 31, 2009

#best 09 "Resolutions I wish I'd kept....."

It's been a big, big year here. Huge, really.

We are the same,and yet we are completely different...

I'm willing to cut myself some slack on those balls that inevitably got dropped in this year long, ever more intricate, juggling act...I don't really wish I'd done more. To have completed all the things I set out to complete, at the beginning of 2009 would have been not as good for our unschooling as not doing them. They were more surface, and we ended up going far, far deeper.

It was better that certain things were left undone; a sign and result of unschoolings impact on our lives. I long ago gave up specific, outlined goals as resolutions, preferring broad strokes with lots of room for life to be breathed into.

2010, though, may be a calmer year. We've further to go on our journey, but we have reached a place where it is becoming truly natural to live our lives this way. The long succession of revelations and epiphanies is giving way to deepening understanding.

So, if time permits, I hope to finally go through the pictures. We've had a life blessed with travel, and interesting experiences. we have some cool pictures I'd like in frames, on my blog, scanned and digitized, and just plain enjoyed...it would feel good, to revisit these pieces of our lives, and to share them...

Our art room is a many-shelved room improvised by bolting three freestanding bookcases together. There is a lot of storage in there, and a big table made from a door bracketed to the wall, so projects - even big ones - can be left out to be worked on anytime. But we can't work in there very often, because there is no organization....well, there is, but it is at least two years outdated. The children are growing, changing, constantly into new things, constantly discarding or moving away from old favorites. They need a space that fits their now and has room to change with their future. And it needs to be more than an art room, now...because the art has cheerfully moved out of that space and permeated the entire house....I'd like to be the room that is ready for whatever we need it for....

Perhaps, this winter, during the long hibernation, I may move these projects forward. Maybe the kids would enjoy helping, or maybe not. But I have a vision of photos treated as art to bring us pleasure, and another of a room that is cheerful and inspirational to be in, that invites creative expression....

We will see where life leads. I won't call them resolutions....only ideas that may become real, sometime, in some fashion.

No comments: