Friday, December 04, 2009

#best 09 Book - "The Dance of the Dissident Daughter"

This year has been book-filled, in spurts, for me. I've felt, all along, as though there were a target in all my reading of seemingly random things. It's been mostly nonfiction, mostly things that have opened up my mind, and helped my learn to heal the wounded little girl inside of me. Books that have helped me to recognize what it is in some of the people I know that I find so difficult to deal with, and learn better ways to deal with them, and protect myself, if need be.

And then, browsing in my local library, I found the book all that reading was leading to... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0061144908/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0060645881&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=05XCGYD1EXJK01D9TE7T

The Dance of the Dissident Daughter by Sue Monk Kidd, whose Christian writings I read in childhood, and liked, except that they were very very submissive...

What a delight to see that this writer I enjoyed as a child is still writing, and that she found herself, her voice, and her place in the world, unapologetically, as a woman.

As sometimes happens with good, deep, profoundly perception-altering reads, I soaked it up until I could hold no more, then have let it sit for months as I ponder, absorb, and incorporate ideas that resonate into my life...

But I will be back, when I'm ready for more depth, more ideas, and perhaps greater change.

My alternates for this list:

Moving a Puddle and The Big Book of Unschooling by Sandra Dodd

Anger by Thich Nhat Hanh

Living a Gentle Passionate Life by Robert J. Wickes

Writer Mama by Christina Katz

Writing Down the Bones by Natalie Goldberg

Succulent Wild Woman and Sark's Journal and PLAY! Book by Sark

No comments: