Monday, October 04, 2010

Dear Superintendent Maziejka ;

Enclosed, please find the revised versions of our children's 2010-2011 IHIPS.

As regards the statement of compliance with compulsory attendance law, I had interpreted the law to require a statement if the child was attending a degree-granting institution. However, since they attend year round, and their education far exceeds what is required by law, I have attested to this fact in good conscience.


I had included safety as a portion of the health objectives. In truth, Jim and I have been accountable for Jeremiah and Analise's safety since their births, as all parents are accountable for their childrens' safety. It is such an intrinsic part of our lives that we were regularly discussing and applying every topic on the required list with each of them, and taking them to relevant exhibits and events, while they were still toddlers.

For clarity, I have separated and expanded the safety objectives. You will find them in their own category in the Social Sciences heading, where they will appear from this time forward, for both children.

There seems to be some confusion as to the intention of the reports, letters, and IHIPs posted on my blog. I'd like to clarify those intentions, but first would like to point out that all items required by law are sent to your official email address. This allows me to be certain they are available to you immediately. In the past, I had sent these documents to your secretary, with whom I had a mutually cordial relationship. However, last April, we were investigated by CPS, a case which was deemed unfounded (there is a great deal of documentary and photographic evidence of the rich learning life our children pursue). In May, your certified letter was also alarming, and I felt it prudent to begin communicating directly with you.

I prefer not to send paper reports. At the moment, we do not have a functioning printer. Also, it seems wasteful and slow to print, compared with the ease and speed of electronic communications. I send duplicate copies to my own address, and I will resume sending a copy to your secretary, as well, so that you will have redundant access to them.

As to the copies posted to my blog, it was never my intention that you accept these as my legally required documentation. I post them there for those who are interested,whether because they have questions about reporting; are family or friends who would like to know how our life translates to the learning done in public schools; or even CPS workers inquiring as to whether we are complying with state law (last spring, I had plenty of evidence of compliance, and far beyond, but it was scattered. By collecting it in one central location, I assure myself that, if the need should arise in future, I will know precisely where to send the official involved for ready information. It gives me an easily accessible and easily shared record). Also, as a mother so often astounded by all we learn each quarter, it gives me a place to share Jeremiah and Annalise's accomplishments with the world.

I have supplied you with the blog address so that you will have access to photos and information that give another dimension to our lives. You need not use it, or you may check regularly, at your discretion.

Lastly, I'd like to remind you that we are still awaiting confirmation of Annalise's letter of intent, sent to your web address on July 1, 2010. As we may need this documentation to prove compliance, we would greatly appreciate your prompt attention to this matter.

Sincerely,

Shannon D. Burton

No comments: