Friday, August 14, 2009

La Reve des Etoiles - The Dream of Stars

This is the best poem I've ever written, and it's here because, although the word "unfettered" has been a longtime central theme of my life, this is the first documented case of my using it.

This was written either during or just after my senior year of high school, just because i had words and ideas in me that wanted out into the light. Guess I've been unschooling ME for quite a while, now...


La Reve des Etoiles (The Dream of Stars)


Why is it that some souls never hunger for the stars?
They spend their lives searching for
a simple pot of gold at rainbow’s end
and find that mystery enough for a lifetime.
I’ve never been content with normal riddles.
Instead of a gold pot give me the ball of Sol’s gold.
If I could only go beyond Venus, then Mercury,
I would be so close I’d feel the heat
as no one has felt it before.
I’d let it cleanse me, burn away my imperfections
leaving me elemental and without flaw.
Then, beyond the burning and back toward Earth -
From the golden fire into silvered ice.
I’d bound about freely, unfettered by mundane gravity,
Become doubly purified by Moon’s austere beauty.
I’d try to lie on my back and make moon-angels.
Then rise up weightless from luminescent surface.

O! Pearl of immeasurably great value!
I’ll leave Pearl behind for swirls of diamonds -
Each fiery starjewel alight with possibilities.
Other planets, other lives, other hopes and fears...
Other eyes looking up and outward to the stars...
Other souls striving to catch a dream,
To dare the impossible and touch ultimate light.
The dream of stars is a universal thing -
Intelligent life seeking control of its future.

No comments: