Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The August Place to Be...8/3/09

I've talked about it every year we've lived here - taking the kids to the track. We live in Saratoga County, NY, home of Saratoga Race Course, where an unbeaten big red colt called Man O'War was defeated by a little colt named Upset. Saratoga Springs is a pretty little city year-round, but in August...

Well, August in Saratoga is magical. It's not just the horses, or the wealthy people they bring around....Whitneys and Vanderbilts and movie stars and folk singers...but there are the jockeys and the others who work directly with the horses, very many of whom are from much more equatorial parts of the world than are generally commonplace, here in the rural North...

Once, when I lived on Caroline Street (once, when I was in band camp...lol!), I went for a midday walk along Broadway. Actually, I did this often...I had a crush on my next-door neighbor, who sold goods from a streetcart. They banned those several years back, and instead got a Gap and a Starbucks and a Borders....which just seems like a lesser thing, to me. I miss the carts.

But on this day, I was beckoned by a group of dreadlocked, knitted-capped Jamaican stable hands playing music on guitars and drums by the public parking lot...their grins were wide, genuine, and did wonderful things to their faces. In that singing Jamaican accent, they asked my name, then the lead singer took my hand and sang to me. He looked directly into my eyes - it was a very intimate moment, between strangers....after, he told me the song had been about how beautiful I was. I didn't own myself well, in those days, and was very uncomfortable - and secretly flattered, too.

It only occurs to me this moment that I might have looked around to see if they had a hat or case out, and paid them.

But, for my children, who haven't been to the track, this is the beginning. Their first trip, their first chance to experience a taste of that August Saratoga magic. Next year, maybe we'll go to the ballet at SPAC, my dancing daughter and I...but this year is for the track!




Hoofprints Before Horses...Annalise, the Equine Detective, finds evidence on the path to the Oklahoma Training Track. Good tracking!





"Don't fence me in!" There were times when she climbed right up the chain link, but except for when Jim held her, there was no time during the races was she not pressed right up against that fence...often neighing and talking to the horses as they passed!




Annalise was very impressed by the track horses and riders, and wanted to be sure I took enough pictures of them.




It is entirely possible that Jeremiah, who again stayed up late and woke early, was much more interested in a cold drink on a hot day than in horse races!



I've always been entranced by the expressiveness of horse faces...

We were fortunate enough to happen into the right place at the right time...a place cleared for us right along the fence, just feet from where the horses pass by. And, as we arrived, a horse that had bucked its jockey was running amuck on the track, eluding the catch horses for several exciting moments...they had him up on the big screen, so although it was two turns from us, we could see the details...



I'm a fair instinctive handicapper, but I don't bet on horses. Somehow, the idea of profiting beyond the surge of spirit and beauty within me when I watch them seems cheap and grasping.

But I still knew the gray horse was going to win!



Payout results board and what, if I remember correctly, is an eighth pole...




After the horses were walked back up the track, the kids asked for cotton candy. Because Jeremiah hadn't eaten at all before we left home, and Annalise relatively little, and because soda and cotton candy can do oogy things to tummies, especially on hot outdoors days, I also grabbed them some peanuts...they were eager to eat and barely tolerated me taking their picture by the peanut roaster machine....




After our second race (sixth race of the day, since we were sure the kids didn't have the patience for more than three, and we were right), we made our way to the paddock, where they saddle the horses and mount the jockeys. We spotted this pretty bay filly right off, and Annalise and I were in love. So we kept our eyes on her, and I snapped some shots.



By the time her saddle blanket was on, Annalise had charmed a woman next to us with her neighing and chatting with the horses. Since our friendly neighbor was holding a Pink Sheet and we were not, we asked her to identify our pretty filly.....whose name is La Mousse.




A lovely young girl...



...and her spirit-sister.



Jeremiah's mood improved some after food, drink ,and the shade under the grandstand, but still it seems as though going to the races won't be on his list of favorite activities for the week! Next time, perhaps the girls will go, and let the boys do something they might enjoy more...



By the third race, on the turf, both kids were practiced spectators...





Going to the starting gate for La Mousse's race.





Loading into the starting gate...

And they were off....!

I did get video of the race, in which La Mousse placed fourth in a field of 12....not too bad! However, it'll need to wait until I have access to a high speed connection to upload it....




Lise seems partial to paint horses, and asked that I be sure to get pictures of this one... I love how placid the track horses are, even with all the fire and feistiness of the Thoroughbreds all around them...



I love the way these birds kept swirling around, lighting, and taking swirling flight again...it seems like a good image for our unschooling life! =)




These guys are all business.





Jeremiah really seemed to wake up and be having more fun during the last race, and was a pretty happy guy here. Or maybe because he knew Congress Park and KFC were in the offing....

No comments: