Tuesday, December 22, 2009

#best 09 "Best Car Ride"

This year has been a wonderful one for car rides. Having given up the idea of controlling every aspect of the ride has led to children who climb into the car happily, knowing, far more often than not, that there will be something exciting along the way...

There is one trip that stands out,though....

The Friday of Labor Day Weekend, I packed camping gear and the kids into the care, made a declaration on the front passenger window which read, "Live, laugh, love...UNSCHOOL!!!", and set out for a Labor Day Weekend Unschool Uncovention Campout.

We had met our hosts, Randy and Lucia Wright (as well as their 4yo twin daughters, Samerit and Mariah), only through Lucia's invitation on an unschooling list, and my correspondence with her. The kids had, till then, only been camping with both Jim and I, and I knew we would be arriving a bit closer to dusk than I would have preferred, and it would be up to me to set up the tent and make camp for the three of us. And we were driving to a point just across the Pennsylvania border - which meant a long drive through parts of New York I'm not very familiar with, and had never before driven...

So the drive out was, understandably, fraught with anticipation tempered with a bit of apprehension, which wasn't helped by the fact that, when we stopped at our favorite station to fill up for our trip, I was distracted by conversation with the kids, and was somehow able to fill the car far fuller than I should have. That made me more nervous, and the Check Engine light that pinged on just before we turned onto the interstate a little more so...but the car was running fine, and so we decided to trust in fate, and go forth...

The car was packed full...it's a little Pontiac Sunfire (sporty, comfy, and cozy, but not roomy...). We filled every possible nook, and there was just enough room left for the human occupants...We put on the music, some, but also had ample time for talking, until they both took a nap, leaving me alone with NPR and my own thoughts.

They woke when we hit a rest stop. We used the facilities, which can be tricky because Annalise had a fear of automatic toilets, and there was no other time...small stalls made for some odd contortions on my part, but reasonable confidence for my little girl. After, we strolled and the kids ran races between picnic tables and trees...I fished out some snacks, and so were back on our way, crossing the border into Equinunk, PA, then on to the mountain roads that led to the Wright's farm....and on to the meadow, which was home for the next two days...


The trip home seemed even more crowded, and we got lost because I didn't think to print out the reverse directions, and my internal navigator is not reliable. It turned out well enough...the first time I figured it out within a few miles, than got us turned around.

The second time was trickier. I missed a tricky, unlabeled exit to the interstate I needed, and we soon found ourselves going in generally the right direction, but on an unfamiliar road in an unfamiliar town.

Finally, I accepted that we were well annd truly lost, and found an exit with a gas station by the highway. The kids were asleep - they had exhausted themselves in the glorious, blissful company of other unschoolers and the irresistible pull of the outdoors - but woke, a little nervous but excited to go in with my to use the bathroom, and get directions and a snack.

They had stuffed animals and toys iside, and Annalise fell in love with a supremely soft, baby blue plush pony with a braided mane. Jeremiah found a supersized pack of gum that fit into his cup holder, and, although I offered him something else, he was content.

The very young girl behind the register seemd charmed by the kids, and gave very good directions, with an attention to detail, while meetig my eyes directly. I thnk she liked beinng seen as something other than just a nameless counter girl. She had a pretty smile, and her directions were spot-on.

Soon enough we were back on the road, already running later than we'd planned, and needing to backtrack, but fortified with having stretched tired muscles, taken care of input and outgo, and on the right track, getting-home wise. The kids fell asleep, Lise while combing her pony's mane. They slept until we pulled into our own driveway three hours later than intended, to find Jim already home for work (and ready for his weekend; two days to spend with him after our big adventure!)and waiting for us with a tidy, cozy home...


It was a GOOD trip! =)

No comments: